Neti is a technique used in the cleansing of the air passages in the head. The neti is an integral part of Hindu shatkarma, which is a logic system for body cleaning techniques. The main types of the neti are: Jala Neti uses water while sutra Neti uses a string.
Neti pot is a container that is designed to irrigate the nasal cavity. One can use Neti for treatment of nasal allergies, colds, and sinus problems. It is believed that the use of Neti pot is more effective in nasal allergy and sinus problems than other over the counter medicines.(To Know About Neti For Mind And Memory)
Benefits of Neti
- Neti clear away all the bacteria and dirt filled mucus from deep within the nose.
- It works by draining sinus cavities. This helps the body to reprogramme its natural mechanisms against infections such as allergies, sinusitis, hay fever, and the upper respiratory problems like painful throats, cough, inflamed tonsils and adenoids.
- Neti is beneficial in asthma and bronchitis as it decreases the propensity of the asthma patient to breathing from mouth by making the air passage clear by removing mucus.
- It gives a cooling effect on brain by removing the excessive heat, and hence it is beneficial for headaches, epilepsy, migraine, temper tantrums, depression, hysteria and general mental conditions.
- It is beneficial with the problems that affect the eyes. It helps flush the tear ducts and encourages the clear vision.
- It is beneficial in certain type of ear problems such as tinitis, glue ear, middle ear infections.
- Neti helps in restoration of lost sense of odor, and thereby helps with the taste and digestive processes.
- It has a good effect on the pineal and pituitary glands that control the hormonal system. This has an integrating effect on emotional behavior.
- Neti helps in awakening higher states of meditation by affecting the psychic centre.
- It stimulates the power of visualization and increases concentration of mind and gives a feeling of lightheadness and provides clarity to the mind.
- It also helps smokers to give up smoking.
Types of Neti
There are mainly two types of neti: Jala neti and sutra neti.
1.1 Jala neti kriya
In jala neti is used for cleansing sinus passages with the help of warm saline water.
Method (Stage 1) jala neti
If a person wants to perform nasal cleansing, he can do it over a sink, on a bowl on a table, inside the shower. Procedure to be followed to perform neti is as follows.
- Fill the neti pot with warm water neither to hot nor to cold. The temperature of water has to be suitable for pouring in the nose.
- To check the temperature pour a bit on your arm or taste it and then spit to check its temperature. Water has to be a little hotter than warm. Pure water is best for performing neti.
- Mix one teaspoon of salt in half a liter of water. Maintain the tonicity of the water and make it isotonic (0.9%) solution as it is same as human blood. Sea salt is best for this purpose. Mix the salt thoroughly in water.
- To check the correct mix and temperature, taste a little water and then spit it. It will not to be as salty as sea water, adjust the salt concentration if not correct.
- Place the nose cone in the right nostril, and sealing it after a few twists and slight pressure.
- Put the spout straight up in the line with the nasal passage so that the tip of the nozzle will not get blocked inside the nose. Breathe gently through mouth.
- At this time, do not sniff, laugh, talk, swallow or do not have any kind of movement through the nose while water is flowing through it.
- Now slowly bend in front from the waist so that the tip of the nose will become the lowest point of the head; slightly tilt the head to the right, so that left nostril will become the lowest point of the nose. Tilt slowly so that water will not come out of the top onto your face.
- Keep the cone of the neti vessel fully sealed into the right nostril so that it doesn’t leak. Keep the breathing on while the water comes through it.
- Wait a few seconds so that water should run out of the left nostril. Keep breathing through the mouth slowly. After the water starts to run, wait about 30 seconds so that half of water in the pot to flow right to left, After that remove the pot and stand straight.
- Before going on other side, Blow out air gently through both nostrils to clear mucus and water from the nose.
- Repeat the steps, with nose cone entering the left nostril and the flow of the water is from left to right. After the whole liquid finished, stand up and blow out gently through both nostrils and then prepare to dry out the nose.
- If after performing above steps, still any mucus blockage remain then repeat this whole process again several times until it get clear. Even after this, if your nose doesn’t get clear than it is recommended that you visit the family physician to ascertain if there is some kind of structural blockage in the nose.
Drying the Nose
Forward bend drying of the nose properly is very important part of this practice. Don’t neglect this part. People suffering from high blood pressure should be careful while doing this part. If dizziness occurs while using neti the nose, drying should be done standing upright. .
First bend towards forward from the waist and do head upside down with the nose towards the floor that will help any residual water to remove from the nose. Then the nose is to be pointed towards the knees. In each position, breathe in from the mouth and breathe out from the nose 10 times.
Then resume the standing position and do some fast breathing through the nostrils. Breathe 10 times through both the nostrils together with more emphasis on the exhalation part. Then do 10 rapid sniffing breathes again through both the nostrils together. If you feel that there is a chance of having some water in there than repeat the whole process again. It is important dry nose properly as it may manifest the symptoms of cold for some hours, or in some cases it may cause sinus problem.
Jala Neti Stage 2
The second stage of Jala neti is called as sinus bellowing, or Vyutkrama kapalbhati. Before attempting, the second stage it is always advisable to master the stage one which is a simpler version. This stage should be performed in a teacher’s supervision on the first few attempts.
While the water is going from one nostril to other, it is gently breathe backwards and through out of the mouth. One should not swallow any water when they sniff backwards, although it’s not dangerous.
When performing vyutkrama kapalbhati, stage 1 procedure has to be followed for first one potful of water, and then on the second full pot is done in more advance way. It is not essential to dry the nose completely between the 2 stages. The nose has to be dry completely after stage 2, as more water flow from the nasal passages.
It may cause serious irritation for some time if nose is not dried completely. Vyutkrama kapalbhati neti works target more on clearing out the posterior sinus passages which stage 1 not able to reach and it is more effective than stage1 for sinusitis, post nasal drip, snoring, chronic catarrh, coughs, thyroid imbalances.
Stage 2 (b)
Inhale water separately through each nostril and through it out of the mouth than do both simultaneously.
Do not consume; to avoid infection dry nose completely.
The third stage is called sheet karma kapalbhati is more advanced or is even more difficult. In this stage, salty water is taken inside through the mouth and then blow out from the nose. It may be a little problematic in the starting. The benefits are more or less similar but this is more effective than other forms of neti. It is done after stages 1 & 2. The drying of the nostrils are very important and should be done properly, this stage is always should be performed in the supervision. (To Know About Neti For Mind And Memory)
1.2. Dugdha Neti – Neti with Milk
In Dugdha neti, milk is used in place of water, pre-warmed to body temperature, It is suitable for those person who suffer from chronic nose bleeds or those who get irritation from the use of salty water. Milk Neti is done in case where the nasal lining is already irritated, for example in case of sanding plaster.
It is best done after warm salty water is used in stage 1 and 2. Unlike the water methods, the milk does not need to flow from one side to the other. It fills the inside nostrils and it is then removed. Once in each side is sufficient. Milk neti is performed for specific conditions and even in those conditions it should not be performed excessively. (To Know About Neti For Mind And Memory)
Pre-warmed milk, warmed to body temperature is used in place of water, It is appropriate for the person who suffers from chronic nose bleeds or those who have sensitivity from the use of salty water.
Milk neti is used in case where nasal mucosa is already irritated, from the sanding plaster. For best results use it after warm salty water is used in stage 1 and 2.
2. Sutra Neti – Nasal Cleansing Using a Cord
This method is used very effectively for clearing the nasal passage to the fullest capacity. In sutra neti a cord made of cotton threads or a rubber catheter is inserted in the nose through one nostril and then it is removed from the other. The cord is gently moved to and fro for some time, removed and then interweaved through the other nostril and out of the mouth again. When one has enough practice, the cord can be passed from one nostril to the other. (To Know About Neti For Mind And Memory)
Sutra Neti can be of a very great importance, and it is very much recommended for those who tried jala neti for some time and persons who find that most of the time the same nostril is blocked. Some time there is a problem like some kind of fleshy obstruction such as cartilages.
Instead of a medical operation, Sutra neti is possible alternative for removing these blockages. Firstly one should try to succeed with the different forms of jala neti using water, and if this not able to clear blockages, a proper medical examination is needed to know the cause of the structural blockage. Sutra neti should be learned in the guidance of an experienced person.
Before and after performing sutra neti, it is recommended to rinse the string either in warm water or in case of specialized cases medicated oils. Then place it straightly to dry. In case of polpys, deviated septum or other diseases related to nose consult to the ENT specialist.
The string of sutra neti is slowly and non-mechanically inserted along the floor of the nasal cavity. Nasal cavity is narrow at the top and it is widest at the bottom, it is like a roof. Hence keep the string straight positioned towards the back side of the throat, a little towards downward and slightly inward so it will go smoothly inside the back opening of the nose.
The aim is to pass the string through the valve at base of the nose inside the upper back of neck where it can be easily grasped by the help of middle and index fingers of the other hand and then it is pulled back and forth giving a gentle massage. Repeat this process few times as long as it is comfortable and stimulating. (To Know About Neti For Mind And Memory)
Care should be taken so that you won’t experience any pain at the time of insertion. If you experience any pain, it is because of going too fast or the string is pointed in the wrong side, or it is scratched the nasal wall, or there may be some other obstruction. If the condition likes this arise and twist the string in one or other direction until a clear passage from the cave is found.
It is advisable to keep the tip of string smooth while keeping a little downward direction of the tip throughout the insertion, So that while going under the medium bottom lip of the nasal pharyngeal valve at the entrance to the throat, it points downward toward the mouth.
It is not always necessary to grab the string with the fingers and pull it back and forth through the nose. One can achieve benefit up to 99% by simply passing the string up in this nasal- throat valve while gently massaging the nasal membranes which stimulate the powerful nerve which in turn serve the whole cranium. This entire process can be performed in less than ten seconds after practicing. (To Know About Neti For Mind And Memory)
A copious mucous flow is activated, so keep the good supply of tissues handy. Take your time, slowly and gently easing the string forward; enjoy the cleansing effects and always breathing deeply. For best results perform sutra Neti after rising in the morning with other cleansing morning activities.